This is a guest post by Laura James of Laura James Studio. I met Laura through Pinterest – yes, it can actually work as a social platform. She is a branding expert with a goal to help you have a business that is uniquely yours. I am excited to have her share ways you can improve your blog’s brand today!
Whether or not you know it, your blog has a brand. Your brand started right around the time you clicked “publish” on your first post. Your post graphics, tone of voice, photographs, and even the consistency with which you post are all factors contributing to your overall brand.
As a brand designer and consultant, I’ve seen my fair share of good, bad, and ugly when it comes to branding in blogs. Today I’m here to share my number one tip to branding your blog for success!
So here is my number one tip to branding your blog for success: be consistent.
Sounds crazy right? I know, I know. It’s not some crazy immediate overnight success trick, but I promise you it is the best possible way to brand for success. Creating consistency develops trust. Since branding is a marathon and not a sprint, you need to have a long-term plan for consistency in order to be successful.
Becoming consistent definitely takes time and effort, but you can still make some immediate changes that will help create a uniform look and feel across your blog right now
Before you start: Create a blog style guide and stick to it.
Just like you need an editorial calendar to create consistency in your post schedule, you need a style guide to create consistency on your visual style. By creating a set of guidelines for your content, color schemes, fonts, and graphics, you’ll have a great reference when you’re developing content. It’s important to create something that resonates with your audience as well as potential sponsors, but is still true to your unique style. Once you create this guide, you need to stick to it.
The more frequently you change your style, the more often you lose your followers’ trust and confidence.
6 quick fixes you can make to your brand.
Now that you have a guide, here are 6 quick fixes you can make right now!
- Your blog fonts, colors, and layouts: Make sure every page and post has consistent formatting, colors, and layout.
- Your post photos: Go through and check your photos for quality and clarity. I advise getting rid of any photos that aren’t in focus right off the bat. If your images aren’t clear and well-lit, you may want to consider re-taking some as well. Here’s a great beginner tutorial on creating blog photographs!
- Your header: This should be consistent across your blog. You should also make sure the color and style fits in your style guide too.
- Your blog template: There are a number of different blogging platforms and templates within those platforms. Most of them allow you to set up your fonts and colors. This is a great way to ensure consistency across your pages and posts, as well as keep consistency in the future.
- Your post graphics: This is probably the biggest way to strengthen your brand on your blog. Go back and make sure all of your graphics are consistent. Use the same colors, the same logo, and the same fonts. Creating consistent graphics not only ensures that your blog looks good when people visit, but you’ll be creating consistency in other areas such as Pinterest.
- Your media kit: If you’re monetizing your blog and have a media kit, you need to make sure your brand style flows through to this document as well. It shows potential advertisers and sponsors that you’re serious about your brand.
Quick tip: if you have a lot of posts already, take these six steps on your most popular posts first and then work your way to others over time.
Once you take these 6 steps, you’ll immediately notice that your blog is visibly better. As you continue to create consistency on your blog, you’ll see even better results. Your viewership will increase and you’ll attract the sponsors you want! Just remember to stick to your guide and you’ll be branding your blog for success in everything you do!